Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Social Media Scorecards and the Grand Social Media Experiment

Let me just say this. DON'T DO A CONTEST on Facebook for six weeks unless you have 4 people monitoring the contest pages at all times.  Of course that also depends on if you have 5 people playing, and a fan base of 80.  My client started with 1,100 fans. Our goal is 4,000 by the time of the event.  We're at 2,390 fans on Facebook today and we're about 30 days out from the Event. We are averaging an addition of 120 per week, with one weekend adding over 600 fans as part of the contest.

But how does this help us? Somewhere in my spare time I have found time to read yet another book on this new media that changes faster than the speed of sound. But it is Brian Solis' latest "Engage" and the last 20 pages of the book are on measuring your return on investment, knowing your "Social Influence" score or value and how different gurus are measuring the results.

We will measure results at the gate and cash register. But for now, we are seing and hearing the buzz of the event. Last week 102 links were made to our fan page -- they were all SPONSOR LINKS...giving our sponsors tremendous interactivity and exposure to our 2,390 loyal fans. There is a great free measurement site that has us with pretty high scores for posts and sentiment. The site also measures passion, although I don't know how. (Something else to read.)

And what I really found of great value, was the numerous categories of measurements, from links to news, to blogs and microblogs. Bottom line, I was able to find some news coverage on our event that hasn't popped up in any of my usual media audit services.

The site is socialmention.com. But while you dig through all this with me, you might want to tap into another little gem on the web ... an article "10 Social Media Monitoring Tools..." http://tiny.cc/mrt88.

And 4 people? Well we have one monitoring comments, another the points and me the entire game. All part time ... which means to pull it all together ... someone has to work it. That would be me. 7 a.m. to midnight and I'm anxious for this contest to be over. What I thought would take a few hours a day divided up between three people, became eight hours.  And that is the biggest lesson of learned from all of  this. Get lots of help, have someone write you an app to keep better track of things and make it easier.

There are lots of tools out there to use, but all are partial in the general scheme of a BIG CONTEST totally conducted on social media. Praying my nephew can figure out the app by next year.

Sorry for any typos -- I'm a bit brain dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment