Thursday, June 16, 2011

Some Tools and Tips to Try with Your Facebook Page

There are several third party application creators offering Facebook pages and makeovers and in trying to beautify and simplify one of my non-profits Facebook campaigns I've experimented with five.  The all have their hits and misses. 

First there is basic FBML. A simple way to center general information like dates, times, store hours. There are plenty of tips online for utilizing the fbml codes. If you know a little html - it isn't much different and pretty easy.

One big miss - is Tabsite, which was originally designed for when Facebook had Tabs. When they went to the "frame" option and eliminated the FBML, Tabsite became dysfunctional. I just tried it again and while I can easily add "pages" to my index on the left, I can't edit them. They basically keep sending me back to sign up again. I am sure it is either a "should be using FireFox" or "you need to do steps 8-9 on the missing disc" type of problem but it is annoying and there is no one to give you quick answers.

Easy but sometimes cheesy. Pagemodo. This one has a variety of options depending on your payment level. It comes with easy to work templates that help you crop your jpgs/gifs, and create text pages for your landing page. Cheesy because the text formatting options are limited and it looks a bit cheesy when you can't control leading, weight and size in the finished piece. It adjusts and "fits" the type, and there is no "bold" or "linking" to an individual word.

I liked Wildfire's Facebook applications, and all of the opportunities it offers. First there is the Free Fan Gate, a landing page that opens up to "offers" when customers "Like" your page. It's a nice welcome page. Limited but free. The other programs are for those agencies and or marketers who have good budgets. Most are contest driven such as a sweepstakes, public voting, trivia or photo contest, or simply coupon or group offers. This is where Wildfire's costs go up.  It is "Campaign" specific in that Wildfire will charge a base fee then a per day fee of maintaining the campaign. Most of my non-profits can't afford an open ended product like this.

Which leads me to the final one that I have had the most success with - North Social. Their platform works best and sometimes only with Firefox web browser. But, they offer everything from sweepstakes, to sign up forms (such as volunteer sign up forms) and they have easy to understand instructions. The best part of their program is you can create your own artwork. They give you very specific dimensions instead of the "Must be under 1 mg" type of templates most give you. Their website has video tutorials giving you step by step, as well as a q&a blog from other users for each application. But the best part about this company is their service. Right on. I get immediate answers to my questions and their pages are clean. Here's what you can do with them Deal Share, Fan Offers, Sweepstakes, Photo Showcase, Show and Sell Partner  Pages (IE sponsors) Donate pages, twitter feeds, "Map It" and North Contact.

North Contact is the application that works with their sweepstakes and other sign up pages. This program is free and provides you with a data base of your registrants. It also has an email program. This is extra and charges you per usage.

I'm currently using North Social and North Contact for a contest and interactive game I'm playing with fans of one my my accounts. The North Contact window has remained open during the promotion allowing me to see the number of registrants, which registrant has not answered the confirmation email, and provides an exportable CSV file with all the sign up information. You can ask as many questions as you want in the sign up process. (I recommend the fewer the better.)

If you are running a contest or sweepstakes, Facebook regulations require you to use a third party. There are also lots of restrictions to using the term Facebook so be sure to read Facebook Promotion Guidelines ON Facebook. And an odd little quirk that is fun to work around Facebook requirements call for Sweepstakes promotions. This is easy, a drawing of some sort with no purchase required. What isn't easy is that winners must be notified by email. You must get your client's email. But, if you are using an email program such as I Contact, when the program screens your copy, unless it is built into the "artwork" it most likely will suggest you remove the word "sweepstakes" from any copy before allowing you to send. This term is often screened as "spam" in email.


Whichever program you choose, sample it first. I'm trying to get one of my least favorites off my credit card, and while it worked great in March - it sucks right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment